Salt dough ornaments make special homemade gifts or just beautiful window or tree decorations, but the best part is that they are fun and easy and your children will enjoy making them. The chances are you will have all of the ingredients in the cupboard.
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cook: 3 hours
- 1 cupful of plain flour (about 250ml)
- half a cupful of table salt (about 125ml)
- half a cupful of water (about 125ml)
- Preheat the oven to its lowest setting and line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper.
- Mix the flour and salt in a large bowl. Add the water and stir until it comes together into a clean ball.
- Transfer the dough to a floured work surface roll it out and cut out shapes using biscuit cutters. You can emboss the dough with stamps, handprints, leaves or use an embossed rolling pin to add texture. If you plan to hang them up afterwards, make sure to make a hole at the top for the string.
- Put your finished items on the lined baking sheet and pop in the oven for 3 hours or until solid.
- Leave to cool. They are then ready to decorate as much or as little as you like! Why not add colourful cord or beads, or whatever pleases the heart.