- 18 oz (500g) Spatzle
- 8 oz (225g) Emmental cheese, grated
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 57g butter
- optional: 2-3 slices of fried lean smoked bacon, cut into small pieces; roasted or steamed pumpkin cubes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C.
- Cook the Spatzle in a large pan with boiling salted water until al dente. Drain.
- Meanwhile melt the butter in a pan and fry the onions until golden.
- Mix the Spatzle with grated cheese and place in a baking dish. Season with salt and pepper. Add some fried bacon or roasted pumpkin cubes, for extra tasty goodness.
- Sprinkle over the onions and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until slightly brown.
Delicious served with salad leaves and cherry tomatoes or a beetroot salad.